School Open Enrollment
PCSD Closing All Schools to Open Enrollment for 2018-19
The Park City School District Board of Education voted Nov. 21 to close all its schools to open enrollment for the 2018-19 school year. No new out-of-district students will be accepted next year. The board made the decision to maintain program offerings while holding class sizes to manageable levels.
Out-of-district students who are currently attending PCSD schools will be allowed to remain within the school system, but if they are moving from one school to another in 2018-19, they will need to submit an open enrollment application. Their siblings will receive consideration but are not guaranteed enrollment. PCSD employees will continue to be allowed to register their children in PCSD schools.
The district currently has 168 out-of-district students attending its schools, 33 of which are children of employees.
Open Enrollment Threshold for EARLY Enrollment Period
(December 1 through the 3rd Friday in February)
Open Enrollment Application
A non-refundable fee of $5.00 is required to process each application (fee can be waived for qualified applicants). Submit application in person or by mail:
2700 Kearns Boulevard
Park City, UT 84060
If you have questions about Open Enrollment, contact Lorie Pearce in the Superintendent's Office (435-615-0225).
Park City School District Open Enrollment Guidelines
The Park City School District's guidelines for students to attend a school other than their home school have been established and comply with the standards of the "Enrollment Options Program" as outlined in Utah Code 53A-2-206.5 through 213. Students/parents requesting attendance at a school other than their home school need to complete an application form using the guidelines for participation outlined on this page.
There are two enrollment periods:
- The Early Enrollment Period for the "forthcoming" school year begins on December 1 and continues through the third Friday in the month of February. This is the recommended time to apply for the next school year.
- The Late Enrollment Period to enroll for the current school year is anytime during the year; it may also be used to apply for enrollment in the "forthcoming" school year, if after the third Friday in February. General Guidelines for participation applicable to ALL applicants at ALL times.
1. Initiate an Open Enrollment Application at the REQUESTED school's DISTRICT OFFICE. Parent/student requests do not require a release from their home school or district. If a student’s legal residence is outside of Salt Lake County, the parent/guardian must contact the Superintendent's Office to finalize enrollment (435-615-0225).
2. A student may receive only one enrollment options transfer per school year.
3. Park City School District students will be given first priority for placement in participating schools. All other applications will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
4. Written notification of acceptance or denial of the open enrollment application will be given to the student’s parent or legal guardian as follows:
5. Each application will be screened and considered on an individual basis based on available space by building, grade, class, or program. Applications may be denied to those who have committed serious infraction of the law or school rules, or have been guilty of chronic misbehavior which would, if it were to continue, endanger persons or property, cause serious disruption in the school, or place unreasonable burdens on school staff. Academic standing cannot be used for exclusion.
6. A one-time, non-refundable $5.00 processing fee, payable to the requested school's District Office, may be charged at the time the application is submitted. (This fee can be waived for qualified applicants.)
7. If the application is approved, the student will be expected to honor that commitment for the requested school year.
8. Parent or guardian withdrawal of a student from a non-resident school: A parent or guardian may withdraw a student by submitting to the non-resident school in which the student is currently enrolled a notice of intent to enroll the student in the district of residence or another non-resident district school. The district of residence will be notified of students being released.
9. Upon enrollment, a student will remain enrolled subject to compliance with rules and standards of the school/district which have been established for all students, as well as those subject to space availability as provided in the next item.
10. A student may be excluded from enrollment if the school has enrollment above the open enrollment threshold.
11. The school/district will notify non-resident students who will not be permitted to continue enrollment in the forthcoming year by March 15 of the current school year.
12. Reapplication is necessary only as a student changes schools upon progressing from elementary school to middle school/junior high school or from middle school/junior high school to high school, and the intended school of enrollment is not their legal residential boundary school. APPLICATION to attend the NEW school is REQUIRED. Students intending to secure enrollment in this manner are admonished to submit proper application during the Early Enrollment Period, December 1 through the third Friday in February.
13. The parent/student is responsible for transportation to and from the requested school, except as provided in Utah Code 53A-2-213(2)(b) which allows students to ride on established routes on a space-available basis, providing no additional costs will be incurred by the district.
14. Applications are considered and granted on an individual basis with no stated or implied guarantee to siblings. However, the Park City School District will consider and make an effort to accommodate applicants who have a sibling in the requested school or district.
15. Utah High School Activities Association (UHSAA) guidelines/policies will be followed for students who want to participate in interscholastic competitions. Contact the Athletics & Activities Director at Park City High School if you have questions.
16. False or misleading information regarding residence or guardian information will result in cancellation of the application or revocation of enrollment.