Proof of Residency

A public school district is responsible for providing educational services for children of school age who are residents of that district.  The child and their parent(s) (birth, custodial, adoptive) or legal guardian must provide documentation showing that their primary residence (the house in which they live) lies within the district/school boundaries.  For information on Non-Resident Enrollment, scroll to the bottom of this page.

To ensure that PCSD students are receiving educational services from the appropriate district, all students in all schools are required to provide proof of residency.  Proof of Residency is required every year, and if the student moves during the school year.  Unscheduled home address checks may be done at the district’s discretion to verify residency. This information is kept confidential and will be retained for the current school year only.  By submitting proof of residency to your child’s school, you certify that the information you provide is true and accurate.  Evidence that false information was provided will result in immediate withdrawal of the student from school, no exceptions.

Park City School District Boundary:
Boundary Map

Proof of Residency Requirement:

For New Student Enrollment:  Provide THREE proof documents via the online New Student Enrollment system, or send them to the District Registrar.

For Current Students continuing in the district:  Provide THREE proof documents via the online Current Student Enrollment Update system, or bring them to your school.  Proof of Residency is required every year, and if the student moves during the school year.

Acceptable documents are listed below.  You must be able to prove Utah Residency.  Printouts of electronic bills are acceptable if it includes the service address, account holder’s name, and the billing date.  Financial information can be blacked out for your privacy.  Schools have the right to request additional documentation.

Your THREE proof of residency documents MUST INCLUDE:

  1. The physical home address where the student and parent/legal guardian live (not a PO Box), and
  2. A parent/legal guardian’s name (if divorced, it’s the primary custodial parent or the custodial parent with whom the student lives the most; legal guardians must be appointed by the U.S. court system), and
  3. Be dated as appropriate for the type of document.

You must provide THREE separate documents:  One (1) from column A AND two (2) from column B

Column A – provide ONE (1) of the following:

  • Copy of most recent Mortgage payment; or
  • Copy of one-year Lease and record of most recent rent payment; or
  • Legal affidavit from landlord affirming tenancy AND record of most recent rent payment if available, or statement in body of affidavit that family is living there free of charge and for what period of time; or
  • If you own your home and no longer have a mortgage, you can provide a copy of your most recent annual Property Tax Notice (for primary residential improved property), as your column A document; or
  • Other documentation acceptable to the school district/charter school that confirms Utah is the legal guardian’s primary residence; or
  • If none of the above is available, a legal affidavit from the leader of a recognized established religious unit (ward, stake, parish, mosque, synagogue) affirming that the family lives at the address designated by the parent/legal guardian.

Column B – provide TWO (2) of the following:

  • Utility bill or service change order (dated within the past 60 days) such as:
    • Gas bill
    • Electric bill
    • Home telephone or cell phone bill
    • Cable or satellite TV bill
  • Letter from an approved government agency, such as assisted housing, food stamps, or unemployment payments (dated within the past 60 days)
  • Valid Utah driver license
  • Valid Utah photo identification card
  • Property tax bill for residential primary improved property (dated within the last year)
  • Voter registration documentation
  • W-2 form (dated within the past year)

The following DO NOT establish residency:

  • Powers of attorney
  • P.O. Box or UPS mail box in the district boundaries
  • Property tax bill for a secondary residence or unimproved property
  • Property/Warranty Deed
  • Letters from friends or relatives
  • Student living in the district boundaries without a parent or legal guardian appointed by the court
  • Property or business owned in the district boundaries, but living outside the boundaries
  • Parent/guardian’s workplace is in the district boundaries, but home is outside the boundaries

Homeless Students:

The proof of residency requirement does not apply to homeless students as established by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.  The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act and PCSD Board of Education Policy 10010 ensure the educational rights for students who are homeless.  The term “homeless” is defined as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nightly residence.  Students may be eligible to receive services under the McKinney-Vento Act if they or their family live in any of the following situations:

  • Sharing housing with other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
  • In an emergency or transitional shelter (homeless shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter).
  • In a car, park, campground, abandoned building, bus station, or similar public or private place without adequate facilities (not designed for heat, electricity, or water).
  • In temporary foster care or awaiting foster care placement.
  • Student is not in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian (unaccompanied youth) and meets one of the situations above.

If any of the situations above apply to you, you may complete a Student Residency Questionnaire and submit it to your school’s administrative secretary, registrar, or counselor:
Student Residency Questionnaire
Cuestionario de Residencia del Estudiante en Español

A district representative will contact you to discuss your residency status.  If/when your situation changes, and you acquire a permanent residence, please contact the district’s representative to update your residency status.

Non-Resident Enrollment:

See the Park City School District Boundary Map.  The following areas are NOT located within our boundaries:  Tollgate Canyon (and some parts of Red Hawk Ranch) and all areas east of Hwy 40 and east of I-80, including Promontory, Brown’s Canyon, Deer Mountain, Todd Hollow, Tuhaye, Mayflower, The Retreat, Park’s Edge and the east side of Jordanelle Reservoir.

Utah law allows non-resident students to attend a district school if that school or class has excess capacity.  Non-resident enrollment information is available on the district’s Open Enrollment page.  The Open Enrollment Application is available online or at the District Office.  Please note the deadlines for submitting the application and notification of decision.  The application and processing fee must be submitted to the District Office.

You must be approved for non-resident enrollment BEFORE the student will be enrolled.

Reference: Utah Code 53A-2-201 and 53A-2-202, PCSD Policy 10010–Student Enrollment. If information becomes available that an enrolled student does not meet any of the criteria listed above and cannot furnish the necessary documentation of residency, that student will not be considered a legal resident of the district and enrollment will be terminated. A separate registration form and subsequent documentation must be completed for each child you are registering.