Due to Covid 19, attendance policies will be appropriately addressed by Administration.
- All students are allowed three parent excused class period absences, per class, per quarter. A period is a single class of approximately 80 minutes. It is the student’s responsibility to make up work missed for an excused absence as per individual teacher or policy. A parent must excuse a student by sending an email to email@example.com within three days of returning to school.
- Certain types of absences do NOT count against the three allowed class absences. See the excused absence section.
- Absences for any reason during the first or last week of any quarter are strongly discouraged.
Checking Students Out of School During the School Day
- During the school day, students can be signed-out by parents, emergency contacts, or authorized adults listed on the student’s school record.
- Students must be checked-out by a parent by calling the Attendance Office (435-645-5640 option#1) from the parking lot or physically coming into the school.
- To maximize class time and follow our safety protocols, students shall report to class until called for by the attendance office.
- TMJH is a closed campus. For liability reasons, students may not leave campus during school hours, unless checked out by an authorized adult.
- Students not checked out with the attendance office by an adult, are considered truant and absences cannot be excused.
Steps To Follow When Absent
- Excusal notes and emails are accepted within 3 days of returning to school. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org . The email must include the student’s full name, the date(s) of absence, and the reason for the absence. Notes must be submitted by a parent.
The following absences do NOT count against the 3 class absences
- Medical absences will not count towards the three class absences. If there are ongoing medical issues, please contact the school nurse.
- Death in the immediate family or grave family illness necessitating a student’s absence. A medical note must accompany a parent's excuse for family illness. Please contact
- Religious holidays are excused with a parent note. Please include which holiday .
- Counseling or office business requiring the student to miss or be late for class. Students are still responsible for making up any work missed.
- School-related absences resulting due to participation in sports/school-sponsored activities. It is the students responsibility to contact the teacher of classes to be missed before leaving. The missing assignments must be completed on time. Be sure to check out with the Attendance Office before leaving.
- Pre-Arranged and Contract Absences. Groups or individuals involved in, but not limited to, ski teams, modeling, competitive skating, rodeo, equestrian competition, etc., should see the Attendance Office for information.
- Contracts may be obtained at the Attendance Office.
- This contract is subject to grade and attendance verification as explained in the contract.
Pre-Arranged and Extended Absences (four days or more)
The process to obtain permission for an extended absence starts at the Attendance Office at least one week prior to the absence.
Pre-Arranged 4-9 Days
- Student reports absence to Attendance Office.
- Attendance Office gives Pre-Arranged Absence Request Contract.
- Students are recommended to visit with counselors for support.
- If a student is struggling academically (D’s or F’s), the student will be required to visit with counselors before approval will be granted.
- Students follow procedures on form.
- Students must keep up with their schoolwork while absent. There may be some activities and assessments that can only be done in person during in-class activities; we do not guarantee this content can be received or mastered at a later date if missed the first time. Grades may be negatively impacted by absences.
Extended 10+ Days
- Student reports absence to Attendance Office.
- Attendance Secretary gives Extended Absence Request Contract.
- Students are required to visit with counselors for support and to create an individual academic plan for success.
- Students must follow the procedures on form.
- Students must keep up with their schoolwork while absent. There may be some activities and assessments that can only be done in person during in-class activities; we do not guarantee this content can be received or mastered at a later date if missed the first time. Grades maybe negatively impacted by absences.
- If the student has NOT made any contact with individual teachers during the extended absence, the student may be dropped from student enrollment.
- If a student is excessively absent, an administrator will be reaching out to the parents to come up with a plan to improve attendance.
- Ten Day Rule: By law, a student who misses ten (10) consecutive unexcused attendance days will be dropped from the school rolls. Contact your guidance counselor with concerns.
TMJH Tardy Policy
- Students are expected to be at school and in class on time.
- When students are late for school, they must sign in at the attendance office. To excuse a tardy for the first period of the day, a parent must call the Attendance Office at the time of arrival to sign a the student in. A parent may excuse three 1st period tardies per quarter. The first 10 minutes of class missed will be counted as tardy. After 10 minutes, the student will be marked absent.
- Students are allowed ample time to move between classes; they should not be late to class during the school day.
- If a student gets two or more tardies in one week, after the first period,they will serve an after-school detention the following week.
- Students with multiple first period tardies will be addressed on a case by case basis and parents will be contacted.
Extra-curricular Activities and Attendance
- In order to participate in extracurricular activities (i.e. sports, field trips, dances, plays, etc.) the student must be in class the two regularly scheduled periods before the event. It is the student’s responsibility to contact teachers of classes to be missed before leaving, to complete assignments on time and to sign out at the Attendance Office before leaving.
- Students who have accumulated more than 3 absences in any class during the current quarter will not be allowed an early dismissal from school to participate in athletic competitions or field trips.
- Students with excessive absences (6 or more in any class in each quarter) will be prohibited from participation in school social activities, dances, athletic competitions, etc.
- Students involved in school-related extra-curricular activities, or any activity sanctioned by the Utah High School Activities Association (UHSAA), will be given a “school-related absence” for their participation. Students are required to sign-out at the Attendance Office before they leave for every release/activity. Students are responsible to complete and turn in all assignments in accordance with their teachers’ course disclosure statements and school policy.
- Students who regularly participate in non-school-related athletic competitive activities may request to have an “Attendance Contract.” The request must be made two weeks prior to activity release. Student, please see the Attendance Office for details and to pick up an Attendance Contract.
Contact your Guidance Counselor for details. TMJH students who have Parent Release may NOT be on campus during the Parent Release periods. Students are welcome to be in the school 10 minutes before or after their scheduled classes, students are expected to spend this time in the lobby.